With a 35mm rim profile, the Orbis II T30 Ltd weigh just 1250g for the pair and are described by 3T as the go to wheelset should you be looking for the lowest possible weight.
Wider is Better
Following modern trends the 100% carbon rim is 25mm wide and rather than a having a sharp profile, is rounded which is said to be more stable and also be better aerodynamically in varying wind directions as you get a smoother airflow and less turbulence behind the rim after the air has pased over it.
The wider rim also means that fatter road and even cross tubs have a secure base to glue them onto, which in turn give you a more comfortable ride, a wider contact surface for improved grip and handling. Wider tires are also said to have less rolling resistance and apparently have less chance of puncturing.
3T have used the ever popular and very lightweight Sapim CX-Ray spokes with 20 on the front wheel and 24 at the back. Internal nipples are inverted and whilst this makes adjustments harder, the profile of the wheel is far cleaner.
The 3T Orbis II hubs use CeramicSpeed bearings which are some of the smoothest available anywhere. 3T state that the hubs themselves are made from a lightweight alloy, but don’t go into detail. They also have an over-sized spindle with modular end-caps which makes it easy to change from a quick-release to a thru-axle depending on your requirements.
- Rim Size: ETRTO 632 x 24.5c, (28”/700c), 25mm wide, 35mm deep
- Rim Spec: tubular, full carbon, high temperature braking surface, double angle drilling
- Spokes: straight pull, stainless steel, black finish, double butted aero, Sapim CX-Ray , 20F/24R
- Nipples: light alloy, inverted, spherical washer
- Hubs: light alloy hub bodies, spindles and fw-body – ceramicspeed bearings – black anodized
- Rear Hub Compatibility: 10/11s Shimano/SRAM type cassette*
- Quick Release: alloy lever and nut, steel rod
- Weight: 1250g
*campy fw-body sold as spare – not compatible with sprockets that require SRAM XD driver body
The Video below goes over the main features of 3T wheels: